We had great attendance, which made for a very fun summer reading program!
SUMMER 2022 SPECIAL PROGRAMS ENJOYED BY
CHILDREN AND THEIR FAMILIES THIS YEAR:
- Children’s sign language class with Linda Taylor
- Leonardo! Rockin’ & Reading stage show
- The Little Mermaid, a drama presented by Bright Star Entertainment
- Professor Steve’s Wild Water Show
- Sea Slime making
- Explorer’s Story Time with an ocean-themed craft each week, joined by our reading therapy dog and handler Sharon
- TinCaps Baseball Reading Club – Children were given a voucher for a free ticket, a meal, and a treat for reading 4 books: a book a base for the run!
- Weekly hands-on craft table focusing on ocean-themed crafts
As children filled in the boxes to complete their summer reading log, they received a small toy and a ticket to place in either our weekly or grand prize drawing. Children also received a ticket for attending our programs.
All of the children who finished their reading requirement and had tickets placed in the grand prize drawing bucket were placed in the grand prize drawing and three winners were impartially drawn by age.
Birth – 4 Abigail Olufowote was awarded a Let’s Go Fishing Game and an I Spy Treasure Hunt book.
5 – 8: Rayden Ward was awarded a Lego 3in1 Ocean Creature Building Set and a National Geographic Shark book.
9 – 12: Morgan High, was awarded a 3D Wooden Ship Puzzle and a National Geographic Ocean-Pedia book.
The weekly drawing winners were awarded Various items such as: Wahl Spin Balls, UNO splash cards, pool floats, and an ocean-themed ABC book.
Summer is here, and with that comes Summer Reading! We are excited to offer this program for our community because of the many benefits:
- encouragement that reading become a lifelong habit.
- reluctant readers can be drawn in by the activities.
- reading over the summer helps children keep their skills up.
- it’s a great time to come visit the library! We are nearing the completion of construction, so we invite you to come inside and see our expanded children section, and then go out to our park to play on the splash pad!
We also welcome you to sign up for the Fort Wayne TinCaps reading club, offered simultaneously. Each child will receive a baseball diamond log sheet to record four books they read, which will be good for a voucher to send in to get a free ticket, a hot dog and drink, and a surprise. What better way to celebrate summer than an outing to the baseball park!
See below for details on dates and registration, followed by the calendar of activities, and come on in to sign up.
Oceans of Possibilities 2022
Oceans of Possibilities
JUNE 2022 (click on the calendar to enlarge it)
Join our Children’s Winter Reading Program!
How it works:
The program begins January 17 and ends February 25.
» Read more
It’s almost summer, and that means Summer Reading Fun! Read on for more details (please note the gray bar at the bottom of the info sheet to go to page 2 or zoom in and out), and click HERE for a calendar of program events in June, July, and August!
Starting Monday, June 14, you may sign up in person at the library or follow THIS LINK to register on the Beanstack app for the summer reading program. Starting Monday, June 28 you can start logging your reading and activities either on paper or via the app online.
Summer Reading 2021 - Website (1)
New! You can now print from your laptop, PC, or smart phone using our new software, Princh!
» Read more
Your public library — from home! All materials guaranteed virus-free!
» Read more
Donations are being accepted for the next book sale. Small donations of a dozen books or less may be brought in to the front desk of the library. For larger donations, please call one of the Friends of the Library to make arrangements for drop-off:
Ruth Jennerjahn: 765.348.2733
Cindy Knote: 765.348.4633
Lisa Weeks: 765.331.9169
February’s special events on the calendar:
Wednesday the 6th craft is Snowpeople
Friday the 8th: Jack Frost Winter Slime Making (4-5p)
Wednesday the 13th craft is Winter Whimsey Painting
Friday the 15th: Snowflake Salt Painting (4-5p)
Wednesday the 20th craft is Snowflake Making
Wednesday the 27th craft is a Blizzard Painting
Wednesday the 27th is the last day to turn in Winter Reading Program tickets!
Thursday the 28th is the End of Winter Reading Reception! (4-5p)
Hover over bottom of the page to see arrows which will take you to the calendar pages.
Winter Reading - children's'19